Tuesday, August 26, 2008

an inventory



August is winding down. Next week it will be September. On Friday we will have lived here for one month.
+ I shyed away from Gabriel Garcia Marquez for a long time. So glad I finally got over it and picked up One Hundred Years of Solitude. I've been devouring it all week on the patio.

+ I finally feel settled enough here to pick up some creative projects I put on hold during the move. I am picking up the painting I started in June and some new embroidery. It's good to use my hands again. There's nothing quite like sitting down and creating something you can feel.















+ Before I left town, a friend shared her indispensable advice with me. Her words have been echoing in my head all week. The three essentials to happiness: Something to do, someone to love, something to look forward to. She's always right. This week I've been thinking about how true it is.

+ I know I shouldn't wish the days away, but I'm sort of aching for fall. Soon, soon.

1 comment:

Hawk3ye said...

I like that advice!
I looked it up on wikiquote too... for your reference:
* The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.
o This very widely quoted Addison maxim was not written by him, but by the American clergyman George Washington Burnap (1802-1859). It appears in Burnap's The Sphere and Duties of Woman: A Course of Lectures, Lecture IV.