Tuesday, November 25, 2008

tagged like the old days

One of my nearest and dearest friends, Megan recently tagged me to list the six things I do for joy. The assignment? To:

• List six things that I do for joy
• Pass the award on to 6 more creative bloggers
• Link back to the person who gave you the award
• Link to the people you are passing it on to and leave them a comment to let them know

SIX THINGS I DO FOR JOY

1. Cooking: My love of cooking has grown over the years. I rely on it as a way to relax after a long day, to give to the people around me, and as an outlet to express my creativity. Luckily I married a man who is as adventurous an eater as myself, so no ingredient is ever out of the question. My skills have improved since those early batches of cookies I made as a kid. My focus these days is on eating locally, eating quality foods that I can feel good about purchasing, and continuing to try new things.

2. Letter Writing/Package Sending: Chances are if we’ve been friends long enough, you’ve received (1) a letter, (2) a package, or (3) both from me. If you haven’t received either, let me know. I probably owe you one. Each month I try and set aside some time to write my friends or to put together a small package of items I’ve collected for them. One of my favorite things in the world is receiving mail or packages. I’ve received some pretty wonderful things over the years. During summers in high school, Idders would send bean burrito supplies and long letters to read in the sun. In college, my Aunt Kim surprised me with a welcome package filled with homemade coffee cake, cookies, and a little spending money. Around finals time, two great friends Shad and Andy sent me a “Good Luck with Finals” package. It was filled with large bags of M&Ms, water guns, silly sunglasses, and other rewards for getting through my first year of college. In my adult life my mom has sent along notes, books, and other items that remind her of me. Megan’s packages always spilled out goodies from London and music to keep us connected. I think about how much receiving all of these has meant to me over the years and I try to give that back to the people around me.

3. Reading: I devour books. Each day I gaze longingly at our bookcases, wishing I could sit and read them all day long. Here are a few of my favorites if you need some gift ideas this Christmas:
The Fountainhead
In Cold Blood
East of Eden
Middlesex
White Teeth

4. Runner’s High: I finish a run and feel on top of the world. Endorphins flow and I feel like I can accomplish anything. I don’t experience this every time I run or exercise, but the chance to reach that feeling is worth a work out each day.

5. Making Things: I rotate between projects with a few in constant motion. Painting, writing, taking photographs, embroidering. Being able to create with my hands feels like a great gift. I hope this is something I can continue to cultivate throughout my life.

6. The People in My Life: Charlie, my family, my friends. These people are the single most important thing to me. Each day simply knowing they are in my life brings me great joy.

Pass it on, I’m tagging:
Allison from My Big Fat Fitness Blog
Dawn from Just Me and Mine
Diane from The Ma Family
Jess from Come What May Come
Salimah from The Baltimore Chronicles
Seth from Oh wouldn't it be nice

1 comment:

Megan said...

I always love your packages! They're my favourite!