Tuesday, December 16, 2008

a small thanks
























It is a cold and snowy night here in Chicago. The snow began falling midday and didn't slow until this evening. I adore the moment when the snow remains untouched and the air is still. It only lasts a moment before the sidewalks are full of footprints again, but the moment makes me savor winter.

After returning to an empty house from a very snowy walk this afternoon, I dug through the mail looking for anything good. Then, a small brown envelope addressed to me from Charlie. I opened the envelope to find what is likely the world's smallest envelope. As I peeled the wax from the back and opened it, I found a tiny and beautiful thank you note. Luckily a small magnifying glass was included so I could read his words. The small (quite literally) gesture warmed me up after the long walk. It was such a romantic and simple gift, one that I will treasure for a long time. I feel very lucky tonight.

No comments: