Thursday, November 5, 2009

around the city

Public transportation is a funny thing. Most days I hop on the bus or el and think, "Man, city living is great. I am so glad I don't have to rely on a car." I listen to my perfectly assembled public transportation playlists, read, and daydream. Of course then there are the days when despite 70 degree temperatures, the bus continues to crank out dragon breath heat at full blast, or days when the el car smells like hot garbage and dirty diapers. My least favorite train rides are the packed ones when I have nothing to hold on to and have to assume a football stance in order to keep my balance.

But I recently experienced my favorite public transportation moment ever. One evening we entered a crowded el car and I instantly did a double take. The man in front of me was wearing the very same Le Tigre track jacket as my fellow passenger Charlie. I nudged him and nodded in front of me. His mouth dropped open in surprise. After all, it's not everyday you see a passenger wearing the exact same obscure track jacket as yourself.

So of course we had to strike up conversation with this stylish man. Liam was a very affable fellow with a thick Irish accent. As soon as he turned around he knew exactly why we tapped him on the shoulder and proclaimed Charlie and himself the best dressed men in Chicago. Or at least on our el car.