Saturday, March 27, 2010

Give me a beet

It took me awhile to come around to beets. As a kid I loved the color pink. Pink anything, with the exception of beets. I was a picky kid and kept my distance from the jars of homemade pickled beets that graced our dinner table month after month. But slowly as I've grown older, I've come around to them. And once I realized that beets could be eaten raw, without baking or boiling or any other fussy preparation, I dug right in.

This salad makes a lovely first course or a perfect light lunch with a slice of toast and some fruit. And while it might look fancy, it's dead simple.

Beet Carpaccio With Goat Cheese & Mint
adapted from Sunday Suppers

3 - 4 beets, rinsed and peeled
1/8 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
coarse sea salt

Slice your beets as thinly as possible. (I use a mandoline slicer. If you don't have one, I highly recommend this one.)

Toss into a bowl with the white wine vinegar and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to four hours.

Lay beet slices on a plate. Top with goat cheese, mint, and a generous amount of sea salt. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Megan said...

I love beets too, but I do not love how beets like to stain any and everything they touch pink...

Caroline Kraft said...

Do you like things that are pickled? My mother makes the BEST pickled beets and I'm happy to share the recipe...