Thursday, September 2, 2010

Guest Blogger: Charlie: On Eggs






















I'm handing it over to Charlie today so he can tell you a little about eggs. He is master of the poached egg in our house and how he cooks them so perfectly is a mystery to me. I've learned to leave it to him, sip my coffee, and wait for my plate.

----

I know I'm not the first to say it, but eggs are the best. Versatile. Helpful in the chemistry and flavor of all manner of delicious baked goods. A breakfast staple. An essential ingredient in the chicken-egg conundrum.

For my money, the best way to prepare an egg is to poach. Poaching transforms the egg into a buttery spreadable thing. It's the product of good timing and the right temperature that leaves the egg solid but not too solid.

To get a good poach I put a pot of water on the stove and bring it up to an almost-boil. A few bubbles, but nothing too serious. Then I pour in a little white vinegar and create a whirlpool for the egg by swirling a wooden spoon around the perimeter of the pot. I crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool (where it sort of swirls around and sticks to itself as it cooks), let it go for six minutes, then pull it out with a slotted spoon, pat it dry, and pop it onto a piece of toast.

Ed.: Cutting the toast into strips makes it all the better for sopping up the yolk. Also butter + Vegemite on toast takes it to a whole new level.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I have had the pleasure of a "Charlie poached egg" and I have to say it was as good as it looks!
The only thing that makes it even better is Charlie's famous coffee!