Friday, February 18, 2011

you make me happy, when skies are grey








Can we just contemplate for a moment the wonderful perfection of citrus being at the peak of season in the chilly winter months? This is no accident my friends. The cheery grapefruit above and a handful of others spilled out of our co-op box this week into welcome hands. This in addition to temperatures in Chicago skyrocketing to the 60s, has given us a taste of spring I can't seem to shake. While we wait for spring's official arrival, I will be enjoying the recent splurge of grapefruits, clementines, cava cava oranges, and lemons. This Heidi Swanson recipe has been one of my favorites for years and is really more of a formula than a recipe. Sub in the greens, citrus, and nuts of your choice and you have the perfect lunchtime salad or dinner paired alongside some chicken or a lovely piece of fish. The dressing is super versatile and great over steamed vegetables or used as a marinade for the protein of your choice. Enjoy and happy weekend to you!
***

Special thanks to Michelle for organizing the latest recipe exchange on her fantastic blog. Pretty Mommy readers, welcome!

Sunshine Salad

Adapted from Heidi Swanson

6 to 8 handfuls mixed salad greens or butter lettuce, washed and dried well (I used a combination of mizuna and arugula last night.)

1 or 2 medium oranges, torn into pieces, pith removed (I used a grapefruit.)

1 avocado, thinly sliced

1/2 cup or so toasted nuts (walnuts or slivered almonds work best here)

1/2 cup sliced green onions

About 1/3 cup Citrus Parmesan Dressing (below)

Wash and dry your salad greens well and place them in a large bowl. Add the oranges, nuts, and onion. Toss well with the Citrus Parmesan Dressing (below). Add the avocado and give the salad one last light toss, be gentle, you don't want the avocado to disintegrate.

Sprinkle with a few shavings of Parmesan - you can make nice thick curls using a vegetable peeler.

Citrus Parmesan Dressing

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Zest and juice of 2 oranges (I used another grapefruit)
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
2T white wine vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pinches of both salt + pepper

In a medium bowl (or Mason jar) combine the grated Parmesan, orange zest and juice, and the shallots. Whisk in the white wine vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil and finish by seasoning with salt and pepper. Keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week.

6 comments:

Pretty Mommy said...

This recipe is making me so unbelievably happy!! Thanks Myndi!

Torrie said...

This sounds delicious. In fact, I'm about to make a salad for lunch right now- and if I didn't already use the rest of my oranges earlier, I'd make this one!

But, I've started making salads daily for lunch, so this will be made soon... very soon =).

That image is gorgeous.

ptkate said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm especially thankful for the dressing recipe--I love vinaigrettes but need to tweak my basic one because I'm getting a little bored with it. :)
Lovely photos on your blog!!

I'm Danielle said...

I love avocado and citrus combinations....I will have to try this ASAP. Thank you for a great new idea!

Barbie said...

Great recipe! Can't wait to try it.

Myndi said...

I think you guys will really enjoy it! Michelle, thanks again for including me in the exchange!