Here's one of my favorite recipes we made last semester for Brazil week:
Tomate ea Caldeirada de Peixe (Tomato & Fish Stew)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, medium dice
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped in medium dice
2 large tomatoes, chopped in medium dice
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 limes, juiced
3 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a medium size bowl, toss together the lime juice and the fish and allow to marinate for about 20 minutes.
2. In a large soup pot, heat up the olive oil until it is shimmering. Add the onions and red bell peppers and sauté for about 8 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and allow them to cook for another 4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and chili flakes and toast for just one minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and tomatoes sauce and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock and allow the vegetables to become soft in the broth, especially the sweet potatoes.
5. Make sure the sweet potatoes are almost softened and then add the fish, lime juice marinade, parsley and cilantro. The fish won’t need much time to cook, just enough time to warm through. Season to taste.
6. Serve with sauteed kale and brown rice or polenta. Enjoy!