Thursday, July 7, 2011

bemo gets older

























Dear Brett,

You are now twenty-two, which means I must be nearing old age and becoming out of touch. You probably don't remember much from age two as you are pictured above. This is probably a good thing because I was a pretty bossy older sister. At this age you still did everything I asked you to, which may or may not have included dressing you up in dance costumes, making you play school, locking you out of the house, and ordering you around at all times and in all places. You had blond hair! You also adored camouflage pajamas, The Brave Little Toaster, and Matchbox cars. You carried a heavy backpack with you everywhere, overflowing with your beloved blanket, action figures, a pile of rocks, possibly a bag of dirt, and a large sword, which you would wield and wave at anyone that tried to get into your backpack. Hard to believe that we shared a room, but we did and I would read books to you every night before bed.

Things have changed and we have grown up, moved out on our own. I admire you for many reasons and it's been exciting for me to see you coming into your own, making your way in the world and pursuing what makes you happy. You manage to keep two jobs and go to school, all while maintaining good grades and a social life. I feel fortunate that you and Jake are not only my brothers, but also some of my best friends. I am thankful for a lot of things, but mostly

for time at the cabin
for weekends in Chicago
for farkle and cards
for Harry and Charlie and liquefied muffin
for Team Dougie
for dance parties and breaking out the jersey
for Boat Mixes
for birthdays a day apart
for quiet afternoons fishing
for phone calls, long talks, and catching up
for the Christmas season
for buying your first suit and becoming a professional
for 12-mile runs in the rain
for Bernie
for epic karaoke evenings
for Kant and Hegel
for wise guise
for the Badgers
for Ni

I am proud of the man you've become and we all feel lucky for you. I can't wait to see all of the things you will do in the coming years. You're well on your way and there are so many good moments ahead. Do good, be good. Enjoy this birthday, be safe, and I'll see you soon.

Love,
M




1 comment:

Bemo said...

Wow. I am lost for words. You are the greatest sister ever. I teared up, for the first time in almost forever. I cant say thank you enough for what you have done for me. You have not only made me a better man, but I have also gained some valuable cooking tips. Thanks for being great.